Wednesday, March 12, 2014


Third day to Community Thread

Today we drive one hour to the destination—Community Thread. Terry, the manager there welcomes us very warmly. We are divided into several groups. What I do is to tag clothes and then sort them according to size and finally hang them out on the rack. All the clothes are donated by others and most of them are as clean as brand new. I am surprised by the attitude people have towards other people. After hours of mechanical work, I get tired and feel little bit bored. Then I realize those long-term volunteers there, who do the same work every time like what I do today. They have already persisted for two years being volunteers there without paying and complaining, still doing excellent job. Suddenly I realize that is the real spirit of volunteer. In fact, lots of volunteer work is basic one that is not challenging and everybody is able to participate if he/she really wants to do. So one of the most important things I learn from this trip is that we should not only care others by taking active part in one-time activity of volunteer team, but love others in our daily activities. The volunteer team is to lead one to something really awesome and meaningful and help one develop its attitude towards caring and helping others.

Another vital thing that I get from this team is teamwork. At beginning of this trip, I was afraid I was not able to get involved into this team because I didn’t know any one of them well. But now I want to say that I enjoy this trip very much and we are a great team together. It is the first time that I have done meaningful things with people from different background. When I have the feeling that we are connected so closely, I just want to smile and my tears roll in the eyes.

I have got lots of foreign friends who care and help me during this trip. I love them very much. And I’d like to thank our leaders Alex and Ruiling, and Peng, Kat and Yi, who back me up all the time. Thank all of them. Thank God. Good night Chicago.

--Zimeng He

No comments:

Post a Comment