Friday, March 14, 2014

A Heart for Chicago....

Who knew with a population over 7 billion people there would be one person that would forever change my outlook on the homeless? How can one respectable man who came in for a free lunch with such a bright smile lead me rushing out of the room with tears rolling down my face?

Danny was his name, everyone knew when he would come in and looked forward to it for the week. The workers and volunteers told us at the beginning we would know when he would come. Who knew the moment the door opened, I recognized the guy. Not knowing his background or anything about him, I them proceeded to greet him and help him get his food for the day. During this process we have to help each one individually, asking them what they would like and how many of each item. Some days they were allowed to take more of certain items, but other days not so much. On this day they were allowed to take a soup, one milk, one thing of carrots, as many oranges as they would like, one dessert of their choice, a granola bar, one apple, as many bananas as they would like and a sandwich. As I was taking Danny through the line to get his stuff for him he first began with taking one soup putting it in his pocket and then put another in the bag, which he took very secretively, but still I noticed. Next I proceeded to give him his milk, but every item he asked if he could have more. I had to say "no" for each item he asked because they were given a limit to make sure everyone had enough to go around. As I said, "no", he continued to ask. This was the hardest part of the service for me, seeing that someone needs something so much. It kills me to let them down. I could see that he needed it, but there was nothing I could do. As we continued down the line, I gave him the rest of his items, but towards the end I couldn't handle it anymore. One of the leaders covered my place in line because I couldn't look into someone's eyes, noticing that they are struggling and there was nothing I could do. I had tears consistently running down my face and couldn't stop, my hands were really shaky, and my heart was beating rapidly. When I finally calmed myself down, I went back up front to continue serving and Danny had left.

One thing Danny left not knowing was that he has forever made a mark on my heart. As I continue to serve others, I will always vision how he looked, what he was wearing, how he smelt and that sparkle he had in his eyes.

Volunteering at St. James Food Pantry I helped in distributing food to those in need. I was a part of a team who worked as a family in giving everything that had to provide blessing for those that are not as fortunate. We may not know the story of each person or where they came from, but that didn't put a stop to our team from treating them like they were one of us.

As I asked myself all these questions, I tend to let my mind wonder too much. I know that there will be a need to constantly help others and I know this journey our team had in Chicago is just the beginning for all of us.

"A little consideration, a little though for others makes all the difference." -Eeeyore

We are constantly on a battlefield, fighting against the small things that hold us back from what is really important. Are we challenging ourselves to help ourselves or are we trying to serve others? So many times we think so much of what we WANT for ourselves, instead of what others NEED. But if we each take a couple of minutes out of our day to say "hi", smile or even help someone in need it will make such a difference. We could be that one person who makes a mark on their life, and we could just continue on not even knowing.

I challenge everyone to take an opportunity to help a local Food Pantry and work with the homeless, and I hope that one day you will gain the same insight and get something out of it just like I did.

Lastly, I would like to say I feel so blessed to have been able to work with the Chicago Service Team, the leaders were spectacular, and the members pushed me to do great things. I know that we all made a mark here in Chicago and we will continue as a team when coming back to Springfield.

Shayla Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment